Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Dead Mice

Book: Of Mice and Men
Author: John Steinbeck

I have a confession to make. I don't always read books. Sometimes I prefer to listen to them on CD. Really, it's probably the only way I'm ever going to make it through any more of the classics.

I recently listened to Of Mice and Men. If you are depressed, this is not the book for you. Then again, none of Steinbeck's stuff is overly uplifting (okay okay, I've only read two of his books, but I'm noticing a trend here). The Grapes of Wrath comes to mind. Not the most happy of tales.

In this book, some critters are killed, some people are killed, and life as extremely poor migrant workers trudges onward. The portrayal of women is less than ideal, but that's a sign of the times in which the book takes place. The main (and pretty much only) female is "Curley's wife". That's right, she doesn't even a name of her own, and she's most often referred to as a "tart". Hey, come to think of it, I really identify with her.

Or perhaps not.

I have to admit, Mark Hammer did a great job with the reading. If you feel the need to read the classics (which for some bizarre reason, I apparently do), books on CD are the way to go. It's far more entertaining, and you can multi-task (e.g., drive to work while listening to a book).

posted by Kate at 9:36 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

I made it about halgfway through East of Eden and simply had to stop. It was dreadful. Depressing, melodramatic, mopey...blech. And I had a HUGE problem with his portrayal of women. He had a Lilith character, but not an Eve. She was the main female character, and pretty much an evil succubus. Bizarer.

8/23/2006 5:45 PM  

Post a Comment