Saturday, September 09, 2006

Finding My Inner Fluff

Title: Bridget Jones’s Diary
Author: Helen Fielding

Hmm…there’s not really much to write about Bridget Jones’s Diary, because everyone has probably already decided whether they love or hate it. Well, I hated the movie at first, because I was expecting a Pride and Prejudice story, and that wasn’t what I got at all. Bridget and Lizzy are nothing alike, and Mark just can’t compare with Fitzwilliam in the “Darcy” category. But I’ve gotten over that now, and actually really like the story for what it is: the entertaining struggles of a thirty-some “singleton” trying to give new meaning to her life, even if she does go about it rather bizarrely. On some level, I identify with Bridget much better now than I did when I first saw the movie five years ago. First of all, I’m not as much of an intellectual snob as I used to be. And secondly, I have a much higher appreciation for how difficult the real world can be, so I’m better at understanding all of Bridget’s little foibles and failures.

So, I liked Bridget Jones’s Diary and didn’t find it obnoxious at all. Well, the calorie-counting irked me, but then again, it always does. I can see why it would be a big part of Bridget’s life, although I still think it’s silly. And the book’s “Darcy” ending wasn’t nearly as good as the movie’s, but this is one of those books where attitude and style is more important than plot anyway. And to make up for it, I was actually rather impressed with the way Fielding ended the Mum and Dad story – or, rather, didn’t end it. Their final scene together is definitely cringe-worthy.

One last thing, however – don’t place this book on your nightstand before going to sleep. The creepy cover gave me the willies. It “watched” me, and I kept expecting it to come alive and gobble me once I fell asleep. Weird.

And, naturally, I can't end this post without giving a shout-out to ket, who loaned it to me : ). Thanks!

posted by Elizabeth at 4:11 PM

0 Comments:



Post a Comment