Saturday, September 09, 2006

Welcome to Smutville, Population: 2

Title: Key of Light
Author: Nora Roberts

Members of this blog, that is. I’m sure there are millions of other women out there who also read this stuff.

After 25 years of blatantly refusing, I have done it. I have read a “bodice ripper” as reyn would call it. However, to clarify, no bodices were harmed in the writing of this book. That isn’t to say that there weren’t the requisite sex scenes, though.

This particular novel is the first of a trilogy (imagine that, Nora Roberts doing a trilogy?). There are three heroines, one for each book. Each heroine has to find a key within a 28 day period of time in order to free the souls of three demi-goddesses, all the while trying to remain one step ahead of the evil god, Kane. Never fear, their friendly neighborhood god, Pitte, and goddess, Rowena, are there to help them out, as are their soon-to-be-lovers, for what is a romance novel without its romance?

The heroine of this book is Malory. And that’s all I have to say about that.

I’d rather focus on my favorite heroine: Dana, the reference librarian (further proof that librarians can be sexy, right?). She is intelligent, sassy, determined, hates mornings, and loves books and knowledge. She doesn’t “sound like any librarian [Malory has] ever known,” meaning she swears, although not nearly enough, I should say. If it weren’t for the occasional stupid sayings, such as “information is my god,” she would be my favorite heroine ever, which has nothing to do with the fact that I identify with her character. Well, minus a detail here and there.

Anyway, the book ends as one would expect. I won’t ruin it for you, although I don’t think it takes a genius to figure it out.

And now I’m off to read book two, which has Dana as its heroine.

posted by Kate at 11:21 PM

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SLUT!!!

9/10/2006 8:10 PM  

Post a Comment