Saturday, November 03, 2007

food jerk

Ti: Kitchen Confidential
Au: Anthony Bourdain
paperback, original edition, c. 2000

I don't think I like Anthony Bourdain very much.

I'd like to think that he's an ok dude, putting up an asshole front for some weird purpose of his own, but I think he might actually be someone that I wouldn't care to know. Not that I actually have to worry about it.

His stories are interesting, however, and I actually recognize some of the words he's using from being a 'Top Chef' disciple (a show where Bourdain also appears from time to time). I have a better picture of how a commercial kitchen actually works now; things are done a bit more piecemeal (sp?) than I would have previously suspected.

I wonder, however, about some of the parts where he is trying to explain over-arching concepts of the restaurant business to his readers. It almost seems as if he is over doing it either to prove that his wang is huge and that only the few and brave could possibly do what he does, or because he feels he needs to go way overboard in order to portray his feelings on the topic to people who aren't familiar with the people, places and situations he has found over his career.

Bourdain has also written two (mystery?) novels, which I can't imagine are good, but I will admit that I wouldn't mind reading his other memior-y book and glancing through the cookbook based around his current and relatively long-time employer, Les Halles.

Labels: , , , ,


posted by ~e at 9:14 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

I like this blog best when of us reviews a book I've been meaning to read but haven't gotten around to yet. Kitchen Confidential is one of those for me. I read a bit about it back when I was reading Alex Kapranos' Sound Bites (reviewers often compared them) and thought it sounded cool. I wonder if I'll find him as unlikeable as you do.

Oh, and my new roommate had me watching the recent season of Top Chef. It was pretty good, but I still don't know what an "infusion" of "blankety-blankety" is.

11/05/2007 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment