Monday, April 04, 2011

WTF, Ray?

Title: We'll Always Have Paris
Author: Ray Bradbury

I really enjoyed Ray Bradbury in high school. After Fahrenheit 451 introduced us, I found some of his short stories and plowed through a couple collections. His Mars adventures were inventive, though ridiculously unscientific, his robots seemed specifically designed to expose human flaws and foibles, and I enjoyed the idea of a sociopathic, homicidal infant years before Stewie Griffin hit the scene. We started a lending library at work, adn when my boss brought in a collection of Bradbury short stories I'd never heard of before, I grabbed it before it had settled on the shelf.

I wish I'd left it on the shelf.

When a writer known for sci-fi writes something else, you have to expect that it will be a little different, but many such writers have succeeded in branching out beyond their familiar genres. But this collection... it won a National Book Award, and I can't figure out why. Remarkably few of the stories made any sense at all, and the few of them that are memorable enough for me to recall now are not memorable for good reasons. Disappointing, because I really like Bradbury, and I really didn't like this book.

Labels: ,


posted by reyn at 12:20 PM

0 Comments:



Post a Comment