Saturday, November 03, 2007

i am underwhelmed, and so can you


Ti: I Am America: And So Can You!
Au: Stephen T. Colbert, DFA
limited free abridged audio edition, from audible.com









[before i even talk about this title, let me advertise audible.com for a minute. if you listen to many audiobooks and are willing to download them, it's a pretty cheap way to go. my plan gets me two books a month for $22 + tax. if you've ever bought many audiobooks, you know how cheap this is. a subscription will also get you access to free stuff, like a pretty decent library of recorded speeches and the like]

I watch the Colbert Report, and indeed I pay iTunes for the privilege, b/c we do not have cable. I think he's quite clever, sometimes the reach for maximum shock value turns me off a bit. I do so wish that the shock value reach of the people he enjoys imitating would turn off all their followers so that we wouldn't have to endure them any further; but it doesn't work like that, sadly.

There are some things in this book that are also quite clever, but (and maybe this was because i was listening to it instead of reading it) it just seemed so similar to show material that i wasn't that impressed by it. I would imagine the fact that this was written by a team of writers would reinforce this.

So, eh. Totally worth it for fans, and I would imagine this book was entirely an exercise aimed at fans, but its not going to win anyone over who isn't already willing to elect him our next president.

posted by ~e at 9:35 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

My parents bought me this in hardcover recently. I'll admit to being a fan, although not perhaps as dedicated a member of the Colbert Nation as I could be. I am looking forward to reading it, but personally, I bet the next Tek Jansen adventure will be better. :)

11/05/2007 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment