Friday, June 27, 2008

these are not the people I know and love

Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
by Helen Halstead

I love P&P. I've read some good books that continue the story, or expand on it (really enjoyed Pamela Aidan's trilogy). This one, not so much.

Somehow the characters just grated on me. Elizabeth was annoying, Darcy was a stoic jerk, Georgianna was a wuss, Lady Catherine was a bitch, and so forth. I kept reading, hoping it'd improve (rather, that they'd improve), but never really enjoyed it (it probably helped that I was traveling at the time, and didn't want to waste a book that I'd taken the time to bring). My favorite part? (SPOILER) Wickham dies of untreated syphilis. Poetic justice at its best.

Labels: , ,


posted by ket at 1:20 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

P&P sequels usually disappoint me. They're never as funny as Austen was!

6/27/2008 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment