Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Romance Novels: A Conclusion

Title: Key of Knowledge
Author: Nora Roberts

A conclusion both to the trilogy and to my reading of mass-produced paperback romance novels. I have had enough for now. They are just too cheesy and not well-written enough for me. They do make excellent light reading though, so if the goal is to avoid intellectual stimulation and relax after a hard day at work, they are a great choice.

In this book, Zoe, the hair salon part of Indulgence, is on the hunt for the remaining key. As in the last three books, a very important aspect to finding the key seems to be to fall in love with a man, in this case, Bradley Vane. Of course, there is the terrible dilemma: is it the quest for the key creating the illusion of love between them or is their love really the true love that will last a lifetime? *swoon*

And, to complicate matters, Zoe has a 9 year old son, Simon. She worries about him getting hurt by Bradley. However, Bradley and Simon have practically fallen in love, which everyone but Zoe can see.

This book also saw some good character development of the dog, Moe, who while continuing to be his normal boisterous and obnoxious self, also gained a new friend, Homer. I nearly cried tears of joy.

And then there are more booty dances at the opening of the new business.

I was a bit disappointed in the evil god, Kane, however. For being such a clever evil god, he’s rather easily outsmarted by the old “give the real key to someone else and keep your hand clenched in a fist behind your back like you have the key” trick.

But happy endings abound for all three ladies, including a planned group wedding on Valentine’s Day (someone please save me from the cheesiness of it all), etc etc.

posted by Kate at 8:41 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger ket said...

"They do make excellent light reading though, so if the goal is to avoid intellectual stimulation and relax after a hard day at work, they are a great choice."

Um, yeah, that's pretty much why they're all I read. Using my brain is overrated.

10/04/2006 10:25 AM  
Blogger reyn said...

I, on the other hand, never use my brain at work, so I'm stuck reading them thinkin' books, which greatly reduces my output here.

(Zoe and Moe? Who would do that to a dog??)

10/04/2006 10:39 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

I use my brain sometimes at work. Therefore I need something between mass produced romance novels and "them thinkin' books".

That's why I have Eragon and Eldest sitting at home. :) When in doubt, aim for books generally considered children's or young adult.

10/04/2006 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment