Saturday, September 30, 2006

going insane politely

Spot of Bother
Mark Haddon (HC released August 06)




man i'm behind on my books.

Spot of Bother is the second novel from the author of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, which is quite good and if you haven't read it you should, and would be worth a whole other post if I ever get to it.

This new novel follows a family with two adult children going through the things families go through...wive having an affair, adult daughter can't make decision about fiance, adult gay son drives off the love of his life by being an idiot, husband begins to completely lose his mind. So, normal, right?

What's lovely about Haddon is that he writes dead-on internal dialouge for these characters without being obvious. It's very subtle which allows you to get into the emotion of the moment. He's also very funny, and British, so extra funny. You shouldn't be giggling about some of the stuff that's happening to these people, but you will find youself doing so anyway.

I also learned some fun new British words, 'cause they didn't water down the language for us fool Americans. I used my context clues just like my 3rd grad teacher taught me.

posted by ~e at 1:32 AM

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime really is a good book. I didn't know he had a new one out. I'll have to check it out at some point.

10/04/2006 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment